top of page

Marianne Bachmeier, The Mother Who Shot Her Child’s Killer In The Middle Of His Trial

Marianne Bachmeier's life is a poignant saga of love, loss, and a mother’s unyielding quest for justice that captured the attention and hearts of an entire nation. Her story, marked by tragedy and retribution, delves into the deepest recesses of human emotion and societal ethics. To understand the full gravity of her actions, one must first traverse through the intricate details of her life, her profound loss, and the subsequent repercussions.

Early Life and Family

Marianne Bachmeier was born on June 3, 1950, in Sarstedt, Germany. Her youth was marred by personal strife and hardship. She was the daughter of a war-time soldier who, after returning from the front lines, struggled with reintegration into post-war society. The family dynamics were far from idyllic, with Marianne experiencing a turbulent childhood.

In her early twenties, Marianne gave birth to her first child, but the relationship with the child’s father was short-lived, leading to a difficult phase as a single mother. Eventually, she found love again and had two more children. However, tragedy struck when her second daughter, Anna, became the victim of a heinous crime that would forever alter the course of Marianne’s life.

Marianne with a young Anna on her lap

The Abduction and Murder of Anna Bachmeier

On May 5, 1980, Anna Bachmeier, a vivacious seven-year-old, was abducted on her way to school. The man responsible for this unspeakable act was Klaus Grabowski, a 35-year-old convicted sex offender. Grabowski, a man with a deeply troubled past, had a history of sexual violence and had previously served time for similar offences. Despite this, he had been released and was living in a neighbourhood close to the Bachmeier household.

Grabowski lured young Anna into his home under the pretence of showing her kittens. Once inside, he held her captive. Over the span of several hours, he subjected her to unimaginable terror and abuse before ultimately strangling her with his fiancée’s stockings. After committing this horrific act, he placed her lifeless body in a cardboard box and dumped it by a canal, where it was later discovered.

The Courtroom Drama and Act of Vengeance

The trial of Klaus Grabowski commenced in March 1981. Marianne attended the court proceedings, her heart heavy with grief and rage. On the third day of the trial, as the courtroom proceedings unfolded, Marianne's sorrow erupted into a moment of uncontainable fury. She smuggled a small caliber pistol into the courtroom, and as Grabowski began to describe the events leading to Anna's death, Marianne stood up and fired seven shots at him, striking him in the back. Grabowski fell to the floor, fatally wounded.

Klaus Grabowski

The courtroom descended into chaos. Marianne was immediately arrested and charged with murder. Her actions sent shockwaves through Germany, igniting a heated national debate about justice, revenge, and the failings of the legal system.

The Aftermath and Public Reaction

In 1983, Marianne stood trial for the murder of Klaus Grabowski. The proceedings were fraught with moral and legal complexities. During the trial, Marianne expressed a mixture of regret and justification, stating that her actions were driven by an overwhelming sense of helplessness and grief. The jury found her guilty of manslaughter rather than murder, acknowledging the extraordinary emotional strain she was under. She was sentenced to six years in prison but was released after serving three years for good behaviour.

The trial begins in 1982

Public opinion was deeply divided. Many empathised with Marianne, viewing her as a mother who had been failed by the judicial system and driven to a desperate act of retribution. Others condemned her actions, arguing that vigilante justice undermines the rule of law. Nevertheless, a significant portion of the German populace supported her, seeing her as a symbol of a grieving mother who took matters into her own hands when the system did not protect her child.

Life After Prison

Upon her release, Marianne sought to rebuild her life away from the public eye. She moved to Lagos, Nigeria, where she lived for several years, working to distance herself from the painful memories and the notoriety that followed her in Germany. Eventually, she returned to Europe and settled in Italy, where she led a relatively quiet life.

In the latter years of her life, Marianne was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. She returned to Germany for medical treatment and spent her final days in Lübeck, where she passed away on September 17, 1996.

She is buried next to Anna.



bottom of page